Dancing Times Ltd is looking for a Finance Director
Posted on May 14, 2013
Dancing Times Ltd is the publisher of two independently produced specialist dance magazines, Dancing Times and Dance Today. In continuous production since 1910, the company is looking for a permanent, full-time Financial Director, educated to First Degree level and who is a fully qualified member in one of the professional accounting bodies (e.g. ACA, CIMA, ACCA), to provide financial management and overall general management direction.
Reporting to the Editor and Chief Executive, the post also involves the safe financial continuance of the company and the smooth working order of daily routines. The post is based in our offices in Clerkenwell Green, London, and the salary is in the range of £38,000 – £39,000 per annum.
Job Title: Finance Director
Reports to: The Editor and Chief Executive
Interacts with: All staff, Directors, Trustees (internal); Customers, Suppliers, RBS Bank, HM Revenue and Customs, Statutory Auditors, IT Support, Shareholders, Legal, HR and business consultants (external)
Liaises with: Advertising Manager, Subscriptions and Office Manager
Job purpose: To provide financial management and overall general management direction to the company, and also to ensure the safe financial continuance of the company and the smooth working order of daily routines.
- Maintain the financial records of the company to ensure that fiscal and industry best practice standards are met.
- Ensure that statutory reporting, audit and filing requirement deadlines are met.
- To ensure that monthly, quarterly and annual management accounts are compiled accurately and in accordance with pre-determined timetable.
- Prepare and implement financial policies and procedures for use within the company.
- To develop the accounting computer system to ensure it best facilitates the needs of the company.
- In conjunction with the Editor and Chief Executive and Non-Executive Directors to ensure the commercial aspects of the company are safeguarded and developed.
- To supervise, train and mentor those members of staff who form part of the financial and administrative team.
- To ensure all Human Resources issues are dealt with fairly and efficiently in the best interests of the company and the staff concerned.
- To ensure all health and safety issue are managed to a high standard.
- To effectively deal with all legal matters arising, preferably in a pro-active way to prevent any problems arising in this area.
- To manage all company secretarial matters on a timely basis.
Financial responsibility: Up to £10,000 on personal signature and up to £20,000 co-signing with the Editor and Chief Executive. Expenditure above these limits will need to be referred to the Trustees for approval.
Education: A First Degree holder and fully qualified member in one of the professional Accounting bodies (e.g. CA, CIMA, ACCA).
- Four (4) years experience of commercial accounting.
- Team leadership / supervisory experience.
- Self motivated, able to work independently.
- Good commercial acumen.
- Ability to define and manage the strategic direction of the company.
- A good understanding of the broader business and macro-economic environment and its potential impact on the company, in particular the impact of the Internet age on the publishing sector.
- Small accounting software (Pegasus or TAS BOOKS).
- Payroll systems (HMRC preferred)
- Microsoft Office.
- Mentoring / Training Skills
- An interest in dance and/or magazine publishing would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a professional attitude.
- Team Player.
- An inclusive, co-operative management style.
- High attention to detail and quality, plus a “right first time” approach.
- A “sleeves rolled up” approach to work.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Shows aptitude for continuous improvement.
Date: April 29, 2013
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email with a full CV and covering letter to email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday, May 17, 2013. Interviews will take place from May 23, 2013 onwards.
A PDF version of the job description can be downloaded by clicking the attachment below